There’s something about January that sets the mood to get organized. I suppose it’s really a combination of things that can have us thinking that way.
First there’s the packing away of the holiday decorations – a mini feat of organization in itself!
Then there’s that extra time indoors since the weather is often cold and inclement. Suddenly, there’s time to notice the clutter!
Finally, the mere act of switching to a new calendar can often touch a primal urge to start fresh and create more order in our world. 🙂
In this spirit, today’s Lucky Seven features:
7 Quick Tips to make life a little easier!
1. Use small stick-on labels to date the items in your pantry that are kept for long periods of time – like spices, flour, condiments, and baking powder. By writing the date they’re opened, you’ll know at a glance if they’ve been around too long and need to be replaced.
2. Give each family member his own mesh laundry bag in which to toss dirty socks during the week. When they come out of the dryer – no sorting needed!
3. Place a coat rack in the guest room – even if it’s just one of those over-the-door styles. It will be much more convenient for you or your guests to retrieve their coats, than from your overstuffed closet!
4. Onto each recipe that you make regularly, clip a list of the “to buy” ingredients – the ones that are not staples in your home. Then when you’re making a grocery list – you won’t have to check and re-check the entire recipe to find all the items you need to buy.
5. Whenever you’re serving food or drinks in a room other than the kitchen, use a tray! It saves trips for serving and for cleaning up, too!
6. Before painting a wall that has a large group of photos, or before clearing shelves of knick-knacks for a major dusting, take a photo! You’ll be able to put everything back exactly as you had it.
7. To make chores easier to bear, swap with your spouse or roommate! Trade a list of three things you hate to do for three things he hates to do. You may not always like what you get in exchange but at least it will be different.